The Coalition or Kongeda and eventually Wonkru (Trigedasleng), is an alliance of all twelve Grounder clans and the Sky People who reside in the Tondc-Mount Weather area and the Eastern United States, formed by Commander Lexa to fight against Mount Weather.
Since the Grounders don't use last names, their clan name is used instead.  Clan names appear to be geographically derived. Every village within a clan has a leader who has earned his or her place at the top through acts of strength and ferocity and through mentor-ship from previous leaders (as in the case of Indra, the Chief of Tondc).  Every clan also has a leader who follows the Commander. The clans choose their leaders differently, but most are chosen after the old leader has died. Lexa mentions in "Survival of the Fittest" that her spirit would find a new Commander after she dies.
At the end of Season Four the remaning eleven clans and the Sky People unite together into one big clan, entitled "Wonkru" after they were forced to live together in a bunker. They are led by Octavia.
Commander Lexa, played an important role in uniting the 12 Grounder Clans and forming the Coalition and became the first Commander of the 12 Clans. In "Remember Me", while discussing with Lexa the alliance with the Sky People, it is mentioned that she is the reason all twelve clans united to fight against Mount Weather and without her, the Coalition would fail. The Ice Nation was long considered the biggest threat to the alliance of the twelve clans.
After the destruction of Mount Weather, the Coalition was shown to be highly unstable, the clan ambassadors believing Lexa to be weak and unfit to rule. Aware she was losing control, Lexa killed an ambassador who questioned her. Subsequently the Coalition attempted to remove Lexa from power with a unanimous vote by all council members, which she circumvented by convincing the Sky People to join the Coalition. Convincing the Sky People she was their only hope for survival despite her actions towards them during and after Mount Weather, Lexa secured their vote in the council. The Coalition was unable to proceed with her removal. Former Chancellor Marcus Kane received the Coalition brand on his forearm under Chancellor Abby Griffin.
The next day, the newly elected Chancellor, Charles Pike, rejected their joining of the Coalition. He, along with a small group including Bellamy Blake and Hannah Green, killed the army Lexa had sent to Arkadia to prevent Azgeda from disobeying her and destroying the new clan, and with them her Coalition.
During Season 3, Queen Nia of Azgeda challenged Lexa's position as the Coalition Commander and selected her son Roan to fight her in a Trial by Combat. Lexa won the trial, but instead of killing Roan killed Queen Nia as she watched the fight. Lexa then declared Roan King of Azgeda. The fracturing of the Coalition continued, Lexa struggling to maintain her power.
Lexa was accidentally killed by Titus, her adviser and spiritual leader of the grounders, and was succeeded by Ontari of Azgeda who had slaughtered the Nightblood children Lexa was training to fight for the title. Ontari was then killed by A.L.I.E.
After A.L.I.E. was terminated, Azgeda takes over the rule of the Coalition. King Roan reinstated Skaikru as the thirteen clan and declared, "An attack against Skaikru is an attack against us all."
The Commander, also known as Heda (Trigedasleng), is the title, given to the leader of the Grounder Coalition of 12 clans. The title name originated from the Polaris Commander Cole McAdams' spacesuit that was worn by a former scientist named Becca, who later became the first Commander of the Grounders.
Following the second nuclear apocalypse, 100 members of each clan (excluding Floukru) were ushered into a bunker to survive. Octavia began leading them after she wished for everyone to be united, following her victory in the Final Conclave. The remaining 12 clans are formed into a one clan, known as "Wonkru".
The thirteen clans of the Coalition are:
- Main article: Trikru
The Woods Clan, also known as People of the Woods, Trigedakru, Trikru, or Tree People, are a group of Grounders who inhabit the expanse of Virginia's woodlands. Their borders also extend to the ruins of what once was Washington, DC and near the ruins of the Lincoln Memorial. In Remember Me, it is revealed that Lincoln's village is named Tondc, probably due to a damaged sign nearby that reads "Washington DC 10 Miles."
- Main article: Azgeda
This is the clan who captured Lexa's girlfriend, Costia, thinking she had information about the Commander. They tortured, killed, and decapitated her. Lexa, however, forced them into the Coalition to help fight Mount Weather and the Mountain Men.
Ontari, the pretender to the Commander's throne, was from the Ice Nation.
- Main article: Floukru
The Boat People, also known as Floudon Kru or Floukru, is a clan ruled by Luna. This clan is allied with the Woods Clan and, according to Lincoln in "I Am Become Death," they live "east to the sea, then across it." Lincoln met Luna on his travels.
This is the clan where Lincoln was going to take Octavia to in order to keep out of the conflict between the 100 and the Grounders. After he rescued Octavia from the battle, they were on their way there in the Season Two premiere but never made it. In "Wanheda (Part 1)," it is alluded that once the Commander placed the kill order on Lincoln's head, Luna was no longer able to take them in.
In "The Four Horsemen" Luna became the last surviving member of the Floukru clan when the rest of her people were killed from radiation sickness after they ingested irradiated fish. Luna only overcame the sickness on account of her being a Nightblood.
The Floukru clan was entirely wiped out when Luna herself was later killed in "Die All, Die Merrily" during the Final Conclave.
The Desert Clan, also known as Sankru or Sangedakru, is where Caris is from. Little else is known about this clan, although it does seem to be separate from the Nomadic Grounders in the Dead Zone.Notable Members:
The Broadleaf Clan, also known as Yujleda, is where Ambassador Uzac is from. They are a part of the Trikru Alliance.Notable Members:
The Rock Line, also known as Boudalan or Boudalankru, is the clan that was represented by the ambassador killed by Echo.Notable Members:
The Glowing Forest, also known as Trishana or Trishanakru, is where Ilian is from.
The Lake People, also known as Podakru, is where Terro was from.Notable Members:
Ouskejon Kru Edit
The Blue Cliff is also known as Ouskejon Kru and Ouska Ejon Kru.Notable Members:
The Delphi is also known as Delfikru.Notable Members:
The Plains Riders is also known as Ingranrona(kru).Notable Members:
Louwoda Kliron Edit
The Shallow Valley is also known as Louwoda Kliron Kru.Notable Members:
- Main article: Sky People
The Sky People, also known as Skaikru, is the thirteenth clan.
Known locations include:
Notes and Trivia Edit
- It was originally assumed that all Grounders were a part of the same clan. It was revealed by Lincoln, however, that there is more than one clan. A more definite number of clans is given by Gustus in "Remember Me".
- The forging of the Coalition as well as pre-Coalition wars involved a lot of bloodshed.
- The Coalition was brought about after Lexa forced the Ice Nation's hand.
- The Commander (Heda in Trigedasleng) is at the head of the Coalition. The title can only be assumed by Nightbloods.
- The Coalition's capital is Polis. The Commander holds court and the Coalition member ambassadors assemble there.
- Members of the Coalition are bound by a covenant and are expected to fight in its honor.
- According to the Coalition's laws, only a unanimous vote by the ambassadors or death can remove the Commander.
- The Coalition was involved in the Coalition-Skaikru Conflicts, Mount Weather War and the Final Conclave.
- Floukru is the first clan to go extinct.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/603777378012274689
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/48bsen/spoilers_main_rytsas_i_am_dothraki_language/d0j7iv1
- ↑ http://aaronginsburg.tumblr.com/post/112269787511/aaron-love-the-show-to-pieces-question-though
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/610838295614898176
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/633125474265206784
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/615017732988235776
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/603777378012274689
- ↑ http://dedalvs.tumblr.com/post/124268371123/hello-there-i-have-a-question-if-the-woods-clan
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/468951210129899520
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/615006529838682112
- ↑ http://aaronginsburg.tumblr.com/post/112147608258/what-was-the-name-of-the-grounder-girl-who-was-a
- ↑ Swanson, Allisa (15 Feb 2017) Tweet “Terro, who grabbed Gaia's pack was Part of the Lake Clan, look closely, you can see a repurposed life vest as part of his costume.” - @allisa_s (Allisa Swanson is the costume designer for The 100.)
- ↑ Rothenberg, Jason (27 May 2015) Tweet “Heda is the boss of all 12 Grounder clans. Her own, and 11 others. Lots of blood was spilled to make that so.” - @jrothenbergtv
- ↑ Rothenberg, Jason (16 Aug 2015) Tweet “Q: Before the 12 clans united, did past commanders have power over all 12 clans? A: No. Lots of war before that. Even more than there is now” - @jrothenbergtv
- ↑ Rothenberg, Jason (27 Jun 2015) Tweet - @jrothenbergtv