|“||What if the fight is all we are? We torture, kill, betray. We pretend we're more than that just to make ourselves feel better, but it's a lie.||”|
A Lie Guarded is the fourth episode of the fourth season of The 100. It is the forty-ninth episode of the series overall. It aired on February 22, 2017. It was written by Kim Shumway and directed by Ian Samoil.
Guest Starring Edit
- Luna: "What if the fight is all we are? We torture, kill, betray. We pretend we're more than that just to make ourselves feel better, but it's a lie."
- Clarke: "You have to know that a random lottery is risky. We could end up with no doctors, no engineers."
- Jaha: "You saw that we have to give them something to fight for. We can't tell people they have no value."
- Clarke: "That's not what I said."
- Jaha: "That's what they heard. The list was pragmatic, but the people need to feel like they have a say in their fate."
- Bellamy: "Doesn't matter what we do. We'll always end up here – in the brink of war."
- Bellamy: "Octavia will get there first. She'll warn them you're coming. You'll lose."
- (Echo tosses Octavia's broken sword to the ground.)
- Roan: "She wouldn't be taken alive."
- Bellamy: "No."
- Roan: "I am sorry."
- Echo: "It was a good death."
Notes and Trivia Edit
Body Count Edit
- Unnamed Ark Guard – shot by A.L.I.E.'s drone
- Nyko – shot by A.L.I.E.'s drone
- Stevens, an Ark Guard – killed by Echo
- All Trikru members left in Polis – killed by Azgeda warriors
- Two Azgeda warriors – killed by Octavia
Behind the Scenes Edit
- In the initial drafts, this episode started with an assassination attempt on King Roan, but it was cut for space.
- There was a scene with all the Sky People lifting the radiation shield into place. It was filmed but later cut.
- To make Octavia's horse (Helios) lick her hand in the final scene, the crew used molasses.
- The title has two meanings:
- It's from the quote, "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded." This might be a reference to Clarke hiding the truth about Alpha Station only being able to support 100 people out of the 500 Sky People.
- It is also a visual pun: "A Lie Guarded" → "ALIE Guarded", referencing the drones guarding A.L.I.E.'s Island.
See Also Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The 100 - Episode 4.04 - A Lie Guarded - Press Release, SpoilerTV
- ↑ The 100 Writers Room (22 Feb 2017) Tweet “This is the first scene in which @clarkinlarkin and @IWashington exchange dialogue. It only took 4 seasons.” - @The100writers
- ↑ The 100 Writers Room (22 Feb 2017) Tweet “Initial drafts opened the Polis storyline with an assassination attempt on Roan, a multi-combatant axe/swordfight. Cut for space.” - @The100writers
- ↑ The 100 Writers Room (22 Feb 2017) Tweet “There's a scene on the cutting room floor of everyone lifting the shield in place. @clarkinlarkin and @ChelseyReist committed, man.” - @The100writers
The 100 Writers Room (22 Feb 2017) Tweet “We cut the scene of everyone lifting the patch. So to all cast and extras who got soaked and covered in mud… uhh, sorry about that.” - @The100writers
- ↑ The 100 Writers Room (22 Feb 2017) Tweet “The horse was licking molasses off @iamAvgeropoulos' hand.” - @The100writers
- ↑ The 100 Writers Room (22 Feb 2017) Tweet “The title comes from a quote: "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."” - @The100writers
- ↑ The 100 Writers Room (22 Feb 2017) Tweet “Welcome back, Alie's drones! (I believe last seen in my last episode, 311.) And that is the visual pun: A LIE GUARDED. ALIE GUARDED.” - @The100writers