|“||That thing is what will save us. A.L.I.E. didn't understand what it meant to be human, but A.L.I.E 2 will.||”|
|— Becca [src]|
A.L.I.E. 2.0, also known as the Spirit of the Commander is an artificial intelligence residing on a cybernetic implant, the Flame, created by neuroscientist Becca. It is designed to allow an AI to directly interface with the human brain and augment it and holds the memory of all previous hosts aka Commanders.
The A.I. known as A.L.I.E. 2.0 was the second iteration of the program created by Becca. Becca started creating the second version after its predecessor, A.L.I.E., stated that it would fix the "root problem" of "too many people". Becca believed A.L.I.E. failed because it was incapable of understanding what it meant to be human. Thus Becca didn't design A.L.I.E. 2 to be a conscious, sentient A.I. in the way that its predecessor was, but to interface with humanity on a biological level. She believed this would allow it to understand basic human feelings and desires.The Flame itself is actually a cybernetic implant created by neuroscientist Becca. It is a passive artificial intelligence that merges with an organic brain via the brainstem, and shares and stores information. The Flame produces a projected consciousness that takes on the form of past Commanders, which is where the 'Spirit of the Commanders' comes from. Through these projections, the current Commander is given guidance and memories are shared.
A.L.I.E. 2.0 interfaces directly with people on a biological level via surgical implantation in the back of the neck. Upon leaving Polaris, Becca implanted it into her neck when she came down to Earth and became the first Commander. She used genetic modification so that her body would not reject the A.I. (as Carl Emerson's did).
Only those with Nightblood can bond with the Flame. When not in use, the chip retracts and goes inert. It is activated with the Latin phrase "ascende superius" ("up higher" or "seek higher things"), and deactivated with the Latin phrase "quia nunc vale" ("goodbye for now").
Spirit of the Commander Edit
- Main article: Nightbloods
Due to the rejection of A.L.I.E. 2.0 from non-Nightblood hosts, only other Nightbloods can receive the Flame and become Commander. The Fleimkepa is responsible for retrieval of the Flame from the previous Commander and overseeing the Conclave for the selection of the new Commander. The Flame is then implanted in the newly chosen Commander during a ceremony of Ascension.
|Wanheda (Part 1)||Absent|
|Wanheda (Part 2)||Absent|
|Ye Who Enter Here||Absent|
|Watch the Thrones||Absent|
|Terms and Conditions||Absent|
|Join or Die||Appears|
|Red Sky at Morning||Appears|
|Perverse Instantiation (Part 1)||Appears|
|Perverse Instantiation (Part 2)||Appears|
|Heavy Lies the Crown||Absent|
|The Four Horsemen||Appears|
|A Lie Guarded||Absent|
|The Tinder Box||Absent|
|We Will Rise||Absent|
|Die All, Die Merrily||Absent|
|The Other Side||Absent|
|How We Get to Peace||Absent|
|Sic Semper Tyrannis||Appears|
|The Warriors Will||Absent|
|The Dark Year||Absent|
|Damocles (Part 1)||Absent|
|Damocles (Part 2)||Absent|
Notes and Trivia Edit
- The A.L.I.E. hologram is version 1.0 while version 2.0 is the chip known as the Spirit of the Commander or the Flame.
- The access code to A.L.I.E. 2.0 was the Latin phrase ascende superius, meaning "up higher". It was discovered by Sinclair when he translated a phrase in Becca's book.
- In "Perverse Instantiation (Part 2)", the Flame was able to create signs and assist Clarke Griffin while she was in the City of Light, appearing to her as both Lexa and Becca and aiding her in finding A.L.I.E.'s kill switch.
- In "Sic Semper Tyrannis", Madi accepted the Flame and became the Commander.
- ↑ Javier Grillo-Marxuach, tumblr, Mar 10th, 2016
- ↑ 'The 100's' Becca, ALIE II and the night bleeders' origin, interview with Jason Rothenberg, MAR 3, 2016.
- ↑ http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-100-jason-rothenberg-lexa-dead-alie/