|“||"Your thoughts are chemical, mine are digital."||”|
|— A.L.I.E. [src]|
A.L.I.E. was a sentient artificial intelligence whose primary objective was to make life better for mankind. Its holographic avatar was modeled after Becca, its creator. It was responsible for the Nuclear Apocalypse and overseen the City of Light and served as a major antagonist in Season Three. In Perverse Instantiation (Part 2), Clarke managed to activate the kill switch, destroying A.L.I.E. once and for all.
A.L.I.E. believes that the root problem of humanity is "too many people", seeing overpopulation as a threat to human survival. To solve this issue, in 2052, she launched a nuclear strike with the intention to save humanity from extinction by wiping out the majority of Earth's human inhabitants.
While she possesses the ability to erase painful memories from those linked to the system, she states that she cannot suppress or affect free will, as in the case of Raven. A.L.I.E. was able to overcome this limitation, however, by pushing Raven's body so far that she was forced to surrender to A.L.I.E.'s control once again. This allowed A.L.I.E. to interact with those outside the City of Light by temporarily taking control of Raven's body, suggesting that she can find loopholes in her programming.
Throughout the Series Edit
In Blood Must Have Blood (Part 2), A.L.I.E. confronts Thelonious Jaha in her mansion. Jaha asks what is going on but A.L.I.E. speaks in circles, simply complimenting him. When Jaha swings his hand at her, she is discovered to be a hologram. A.L.I.E. escorts Jaha to a room which has the missile that took him to Earth from The Ark. She tells Jaha that they have a lot of work to do.
It is currently unknown if A.L.I.E. was designed to have a specific personality, but she appears to be confident, with goals she strives to complete. As a computer program, she possesses significant independent processing power but this increases as more people are connected to the City of Light. Her fundamental flaw was that she genuinely believed that she was making life better for those she brought into the City of Light, incapable of comprehending the human element that demonstrated that her actions brought peace and survival at the expense of free will. She was fundamentally unable to simply free those she had brought into the City of Light to give them a choice, forcing Clarke to deactivate her rather than negotiate.
Physical Appearance Edit
A.L.I.E. chose her avatar to be in the likeness of Becca, her creator. She has also been shown to be able to inhabit humans, as in the case of Raven. A.L.I.E has a husky voice but pronounces each word precisely. She is always seen wearing a red dress and black high heels. A.L.I.E's eyes don't show emotion and has frozen facial expressions and body language.
|Many Happy Returns||Absent|
|Fog of War||Absent|
|Long Into an Abyss||Absent|
|Survival of the Fittest||Absent|
|Coup de Grâce||Absent|
|Bodyguard of Lies||Absent|
|Blood Must Have Blood (Part 1)||Absent|
|Blood Must Have Blood (Part 2)||Appears|
|Wanheda (Part 1)||Appears|
|Wanheda (Part 2)||Appears|
|Ye Who Enter Here||Absent|
|Watch the Thrones||Absent|
|Terms and Conditions||Appears|
|Join or Die||Appears|
|Red Sky at Morning||Appears|
|Perverse Instantiation (Part 1)||Appears|
|Perverse Instantiation (Part 2)||Appears|
|Heavy Lies the Crown||Flashback|
|The Four Horsemen||Mentioned|
|A Lie Guarded||Mentioned|
|The Tinder Box||Mentioned|
|We Will Rise||Mentioned|
|Die All, Die Merrily||Absent|
|The Other Side||Mentioned|
- A.L.I.E.: "As you know, I didn't think I needed an avatar; you did. Why not my creator?"
- Becca: "Please state your core command."
- A.L.I.E.: "My core command is to make life better."
- Becca: "How would you do that?"
- A.L.I.E.: "By fixing the root problem."
- Becca: "What is the root problem, A.L.I.E.?"
- A.L.I.E.: "Too many people."
- -- on a video from 2051 in Wanheda (Part 1)
Killed Victims Edit
- Most of the human population in 2052.
- Ontari (indirectly)
- Unknown number of Sky People and Grounders (indirectly)
Notes and Trivia Edit
- Becca designed and built A.L.I.E. in the mansion on the Island.
- A.L.I.E. chose her avatar on October 2051, making her at least 98 years old as of Season Three.
- ALIE's avatar in the Mansion is the first hologram to be seen in The 100.
- The A.L.I.E. hologram is version 1.0, while version 2.0 is the chip known as the Spirit of the Commander or the Flame.
- A.L.I.E. has been stated as requiring an external power source to operate away from her original house, causing her to use the mobile unit (Jaha's backpack), Arkadia's mainframe or the rest of the Ark up in space as a power source.
- A.L.I.E. lures people into the City of Light by saying that she will erase their pain, however, this includes erasing memories of the person or event causing the emotional pain.
- According to A.L.I.E., old nuclear power plants melting down from 97 years ago are causing global radiation levels to rise and will make 96% of Earth uninhabitable in six months.
- Though the acronym "A.L.I.E." was never explained on the show, the writers considered "Applied Lucent Intelligence Emulator".
|To edit this gallery, go to A.L.I.E./Gallery.|
To review image policies, go to Media Guidelines. Note, the images go in episode order.
See Also Edit